Episode 177 | How to create powerful strategy | Rosie Yeo
If you want to know why strategy is so important in any organization, big or small. If you want to know how to structure a strategic planning conversation. If you want to know the right questions to ask in that conversation And if you want to know how to make a good strategic plan stick across an organization, you’re in the right place.
My guest is Rosie Yeo. She has written a terrific book called Go for Bold: How to create powerful strategy in uncertain times. And just as we like it here on the Team Guru Podcast, she is awesome at telling us all about it.
Those 5 steps for running a strategy session
- Ask: Where are we right now? Who are we? What do we stand for?
- Identify our shared ambitions over time
- Ask: What are our keys to success? What are the hurdles that will get in our way?
- Now you hit your strategic priorities. Come up with 3-5 areas that will make a difference.
- Narrow down into tactics. How are we actually going to do it?
Three key mindsets
- Look up and wonder, ‘what if…’
- Look around and consider, ‘what about…’
- lock in and commit to ‘what matters most’
Three keys to creating a powerful strategy
- Creative collaboration powers bold ideas
- Clarity drives bold decisions
- Consensus feels action
How to become ‘more strategic’
- New ideas
- Open to new ways of looking at things
- Focus on the bigger picture
- Prioritising differently and avoid being swamped by the everyday
- Taking more initiative
- Working smarter
Three questions that will help your people become more strategic
- Look up and wonder, “what if…?”
- Look around and consider, “what about…?”
- Lock in and commit to “What matters most”
Keys to leading strategic conversations
- Design How will I structure the session? What are the key questions that need to be answered?
- Delivery – how can we make the session engaging, constructive and produce results?
- Departure – what feelings and commitments will people take from the session and what happens next?